The FCCLA club at RHS attended the 2022 Fall Leadership Connection, a conference where several FCCLA chapters from around NJ compete for medals, participate in workshops, and listen to speakers discuss leadership, college, and more.
What is FCCLA?
FCCLA stands for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. Members complete various projects that go along with consumer sciences and the humanities. These projects vary from the Cupcake Challenge where participants bake cupcakes to comply with a specific theme, to Creative Stitches, where participants create their own garments that are displayed on a doll. These projects are then judged and could be awarded either Gold, Silver, or Bronze.
At the conference, students had the opportunity to listen to various guest speakers. A man who works in Traffic Safety spoke about the possible dangers and distractions young drivers may face and what they can do to overcome them. Another speaker spoke about the importance of spreading love and kindness to others. There was also a panel of college representatives; one from Johnson and Wales University. They spoke about the consumer science and humanity majors their schools offer.
2022 RHS Winners
Many teams and individuals took home medals from the 2022 FLC.
- ‘What’s the Buzz?’ – 1st Place Gold (Mia Olivo)
- ‘Battle of the Budget’ – 1st Place Gold (Autumn Coleman, Lauren Pfleger, Michelle Pfleger)
- ‘Cupcake Challenge’ – Gold (Maya Forte, Ahmet Djurkovic)
- ‘Chapter Spotlight’ – Gold (Bella Cardinali, Mia Luciano, Francesca Perrotti, Mia Olivo)
- ‘Edible Centerpiece’ – Gold (Bella Cardinali)
- ‘Edible Centerpiece’ – Gold (Francesca Perrotti)
- ‘Go Green: Planter’ – 3rd Place Gold (Mia Luciano)
- ‘Apple Bakeoff’ – 3rd Place Silver (Samantha Kaczmarek)
- ‘Cupcake Challenge’ – Bronze (Raena Forte, Molly Sullivan)